Thursday, April 24, 2014

"Brick" Fabric Swap, A Tutorial

I'm in some really cool swaps!  And this time I am in a "brick" fabric swap.  What is a brick you ask, well in our case it is a 5" x 10" piece of fabric.  Now you can follow along with some other ways to cut fabric, but I thought I would show you one more!

FIRST: IRON!
SECOND: TRIM AND STRAIGHTEN! (the fabric is folded at this point, selvage to selvage)
NEXT: CUT 1-5" X WOF (width of fabric, once again it is folded) THIS WILL MAKE 4 BRICKS
I CUT JUST A LITTLE DASH ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE MARK TO GIVE A VERY SMALL ROOM FOR ERROR.
See very little!
NOW WE CUT 3 - 10" X WOF (Width of Fabric) Pieces 8 BRICKS PER WOF AND 24 TOTAL
I UNFOLD THE FABRIC NOW AND STACK THE 10"X WOF (42"  - 44") TOGETHER:
For this swap I am doing 2 different fabrics, so I stacked the 2 different fabrics up 3 different times, if I was to be only submitting 1 fabric to this swap, I would have stacked all 3 of the 10"x WOF together to make the cutting much easier.
TRIM SELVAGE AND CUT AT 5", I HAVE A AWESOME RULER THAT MAKES CUTTING EASY.  WHEN I GET TO THE MIDDLE FABRIC CREASE I READJUST AND MAYBE TRIM AGAIN SINCE SOMETIMES THE CREASE MAKES THINGS A LITTLE OFF CENTER.
How I hold my fabric under my ruler.


Nice left over selvage pieces, perfect for scrap swaps or gifts.

How about you do you like to do Fabric Swaps, check out our Christmas Brick Swap if you are in need of some fun Christmas Fabric.
Amanda made this, isn't is Awesome!, she's the Swap Mama!

Here is a diagram if that helps, I am not very computer literate so I borrowed one from Mel at Missouri Mel and did some PicMonkey playing to make this one up.

 Now Go Forth and Swap Fabrics!

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments: